In a blog post Jeb details what we can expect to see in upcoming changes to the world generator code.
There have been three main problems we have wanted to address:
- Too large oceans
- Too uneven/random biome placement
- Not enough variation
The solution to these problems have been,
- Tweaks to add more islands and checks to avoid huge oceans
- Biomes have been put into four main categories: snow-covered, cold, medium, and dry/warm. Biomes will avoid getting placed next to a biome that is too different to itself (sometimes this still happens, but it’s very rare now and not all over the place)
- We’ve added a whole bunch of new biomes…
- … and most biomes have uncommon/rare variations that you may run into
- We’ve also added a bunch of new terrain features, such as new flowers and trees
Check out the blog post for more details.