The rumors about Lego Worlds have been swirling around the Internet for the last couple of years - but as of June 1, 2015 - the game is officially a real thing On the surface, the game looks like it will similar to Minecraft - no real surprise there.
Lego Worlds Early Access is currently available via Steam for $14.99. While online mulitplayer is not available as of the publish time of this post, it is coming soon. Only time will tell how well this game develops for it's 2016 release, but here's the highlights from the Steam Store page:
Why Early Access?
“LEGO Worlds will be a fully open-world, creativity-driven game so we want to ensure that we provide it with the utmost care and attention as we expand on our ideas. So much of this game will be about building and sharing and by sharing our plans with the community, we hope to incorporate their feedback and build an experience together that fans of LEGO and this genre of video games can enjoy.”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“The current plan for LEGO Worlds is to be in Early Access through 2015 at which point we hope to have our full list of features in place. We’ll evaluate a release candidate in early 2016, but we won’t consider the game complete and ready for release until we believe our community feels we have delivered a great game.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
We plan to add the following features through a series of regular updates:
- Like/Dislike system for tailoring World Generation
- Procedurally Generated Underground Cave Networks
- LEGO ID integration to allow for sharing and uploading of in-game builds
- Additional Biomes
- Painting Themes
- Pre-Generated Towns/Villages/Settlements relevant to the Biome
- Updated AI Behaviors to provide organic feeling to free-roaming creatures and characters
- Red Brick Extras
- Full liquid behaviors
- Additional Minifigure Characters and Creatures
- Additional Vehicles and Pre-Built Models
- Additional Weapons
- Cut/Copy/Paste chunks of landscape
- Underwater Gameplay (including Vehicles, Creatures and additional sea life)
- Character Customizer
- Online Multiplayer
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
The Early Access build currently features:
- Procedurally Generated Worlds
- Terrforming and Building tools
- Discoveries and Unlocks
- Rideable Creatures and Vehicles
- Day/Night Cycle
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes, the game will be available at a reduced price during Early Access”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We’ll be actively monitoring the Community Hub here on STEAM and look forward to feedback and suggestions for the game. We'll also be offering people a chance to experience the Development of a LEGO title for the first time, and several members of the team will be providing some interesting dev diaries over the coming months.”